December is a special month at the Community Foundation, and not just because of year-end gifts from people who want to make the most of their philanthropy. In December, as in May, we award significant grants from our Community Funds that illustrate the power of collective giving.
Thanks to bequests from generous people in the past and active partnerships with donors today through our Giving Together program, we are awarding $1,020,000 in grants to 18 nonprofit organizations. Overall, these grants focus on two Results — $350,000 to help ensure economic security for individuals and families and $670,000 to make our communities sustainable, livable and vibrant. (More about our Results Framework.)
Each grant focuses on a specific strategy to reach the Results our community has said it wants. Here’s a list that shows grants to each strategy, complete with links to descriptions of the grants under each Result.
Result: Communities are sustainable, livable and vibrant (link to list of December 2013 grants)
- 1 grant for $100,000 to expand access to arts and cultural opportunities
- 3 grants totaling $165,000 to expand and improve public green space, plus $65,000 grant previously announced as part of a local match for TIGER IV funding
- 3 grants totaling $205,000 to further develop vibrant city center for Birmingham
- 2 grants totaling $200,000 to Improve the natural environment
Result: Individuals and families are economically secure (link to list of December 2013 grants)
- 4 grants totaling $185,000 to improve housing stability
- 5 grants totaling $165,000 to increase public policy changes and direct services that positively impact low income individuals and families, plus $50,000 grant previously announced to support a low-interest loan program
Remember that you, too, can be part of bringing these Results to reality across our community. You can make a gift on-line to a particular Result or support our Community Leadership work. Together, we can do so much more.