Once again our community honors a select few among the many generous individuals, corporations and organizations that make philanthropy more than just a big word. Thanks to the annual National Philanthropy Day, set this year for Nov. 15, 2012, by the Association of Fundraising Professionals – Alabama Chapter, we have a moment to stop and think about how much difference a few giving hearts can make.
We always take special pride in the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham Outstanding Professional Advisor Award, given this year to Wilmer S. Poynor III, in recognition of his great example to others and his professional assistance to so many generous individuals. We have seen his great work up close as a professional advisor and friend to the Community Foundation, as he has been to causes that range from United Way to Birmingham-Southern College and Camp Smile-a-mile to The Monday Morning Quarterback Club
The winners, announced earlier this year and honored at a reception tomorrow at The Club, also include:
- Outstanding Civic Leader: Bill and Walker Jones
- Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy: Alex Swader
- Outstanding Corporate Citizen: Wells Fargo
- Outstanding Charitable Organization: EyeSight Foundation of Alabama
- The Virginia B. and William M. Spencer Outstanding Philanthropists: Julie and Jim Stephens
- The William S. Roth Outstanding Fundraising Executive: Ellyn Smith Grady
Check the AFP website for details on the event and on the lineup of winners. Each one provides a real-life example of the reason why our community has a well-deserved reputation for generosity.