A history of listening to the community
We have been listening to what the community wants for itself since 1959, when community leaders created this mechanism for broad-based, visionary philanthropy in what was then an industrial city of the New South. Today we fill a special place at the heart of a community known for its generosity, its natural beauty and its thriving medical center, the region’s largest employer.
For more than a half century, we have used grants from Community Funds, Advised Funds and other grantmaking funds to drive positive change, ensuring results that range from free school lunches in the 1960’s to new parks in the 2000’s. For our 50th anniversary in 2009, we added Community Catalyst Funds as a new way to be part of transforming our community and building a brighter future.
Because of unrestricted gifts and bequests provided by our donors, we are uniquely positioned to create and support proactive efforts and initiatives including the Alabama School Readiness Alliance, Alabama Association of Nonprofits, Birmingham Education Foundation, Cultural Alliance of Greater Birmingham, Health Action Partnership, Prize2theFuture, Alabama Tornado Recovery and the Three Parks Initiative.
Alabama’s oldest and largest community foundation is made up of more than 470 charitable funds established by individuals, families, businesses to serve Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Blount and Walker counties. The Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham has been certified in compliance with national standards for community foundations.