In 2015, the Living LGBTQ in Central Alabama Needs Assessment (LLCA) was conducted on behalf of the LGBTQ Fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham to identify the most pressing challenges facing the local LGBTQ community. The LLCA is the most comprehensive community survey of its kind for Central Alabama. Findings from the LLCA include information from 842 LGBTQ surveys, 337 professional surveys and 354 family and friend survey responses.
The LGBTQ Fund seeks to address some of these challenges by supporting relevant programs focused on important issues that were clearly identified through the LLCA, including:
- Addressing the unmet need of LGBTQ youth
- Strengthening the infrastructure of LGBTQ-led and –serving organizations;
- Supporting the provision of services to the youth, individuals and families who identify as LGBTQ according to best practice standards;
- Providing educational opportunities that highlight the need for and benefit from equitable treatment of LGBTQ individuals and families;
- Advancing networking and foster collaboration between LGBTQ related organizations and other community organizations; and
- Supporting nonprofit partners working on public policy and the intersection of LGBTQ concerns and other social justice issues.
The LGBTQ Fund seeks to cultivate one community that supports lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning individuals and families with the belief that all people should be treated with equal respect and dignity in a welcoming and affirming community. This inaugural Request for Proposals is an opportunity to support important work in Central Alabama that is focused on meeting this goal. Funding for this proposal is provided thanks to a grant from The Palette Fund of New York.
Grants will be awarded to organizations that serve the LGBTQ community, or seek to expand existing programs to be inclusive and affirming of persons who identify as LGBTQ. Priority will be given to proposals that will address the needs of LGBTQ youth in Central Alabama. (Grants up to $3,000).
Click here for more information about the RFP.