Creating opportunities for success
The Community Foundation administers a variety of scholarships to help individuals, families and businesses create a brighter future by encouraging education.
During 2015, we awarded $227,000 in scholarships to students who might not otherwise have been able to afford college tuition. Since the beginning of this Community Foundation program, donors have made possible $4.1 million total to help young men and women through scholarships.
The following is a quick description of the available scholarships. Deadlines are as noted.
Opening December 1, 2017 (submit by mail or email by March 1, 2018)
- The Cromwell Trust Scholarship: open to those involved in creativity, no matter their age; requires creative submission. Up to $5,500 is awarded annually and scholarships usually range from $500-2,000. Click here to download the application.
Opening December 1, 2017 (submit online by February 15, 2018)
- Award for Excellence: open to Ramsay High School students only, awards made to one male and one female senior, requires 3.0GPA and 21 ACT, along with community involvement and demonstrated leadership skills. The scholarship is for $5,000, and may be renewed annually for up to four years of full-time post-secondary education. Two scholarships will be awarded in 2018. Apply Online (The program key is CFGBHAM)
- Community Foundation Scholarship: open to students at high schools in the Birmingham School System with a 3.0 GPA and 21 ACT score. The scholarship is for $2,000, and may be renewed annually for up to four years of full-time post-secondary education. One scholarship will be awarded in 2018. Apply Online (The program key is CFGBHAM)
- Environmental Litigation Group (ELG) Scholarship: open to descendants of eligible participants of specified ELG asbestos-related lawsuits who will be enrolled full-time in post-secondary education in the 2018-2019 school year. Candidates who are currently high school seniors must have a GPA of at least 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) and an ACT score of at least 20 (or SAT score of at least 1,000). Candidates currently in college should have at least a 3.0 GPA.The scholarship is for $7,500, and may be renewed annually for up to four years of full-time post-secondary education. One scholarship will be awarded in 2018. Apply Online (The program key is CFGBHAM) If you are uncertain of your eligibility for this scholarship, contact Katie Dean at email@example.com
- McWane Scholarship: open to dependents of employees of the McWane Family of Companies. The scholarship is for $2,000, and may be renewed annually for up to four years of full-time post-secondary education. Ten scholarships will be awarded in 2018. Apply Online (The program key is CFGBHAM)
How to apply for a scholarship
The Cromwell Trust Scholarship application should be downloaded, completed and submited via email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham
2100 First Avenue North, Suite 700
Birmingham, AL 35203
Our online application for scholarships is completed through the online ISTS system. Click on this link, register or log-in, select “Add New Application” and enter CFGBHAM as the program key. If you have difficulty with the online application, contact Katie Dean.
All Applications through ISTS due by February 15, 2018. Cromwell Trust Applications due by March 1, 2018.
Choosing scholarship winners
Volunteer review committees review information submitted by applicants and consider eligibility requirements, such as enrollment at a particular high school or specializing in a particular field of study. Criteria include financial need, academic performance, extracurricular activities, volunteer/community service or other talents. Applicants typically are notified before the school year ends.