Thanks to the Remy Fund for Pets and Animal Services, a special Field of Interest Fund of the Community Foundation, animal-related programs across the Birmingham region can do more to provide pets with shelter, rescue them from harm, provide spay/neuter services and incorporate them into therapy to help young people at risk.
“Animals are my passion,” said Jackson, who established the fund and named it in honor of his late dog Remy, a Jack Russell mix. His passion now comes to life through grants to the following organizations and in the following amounts:
- Animal Shelter of Pell City, $5,000
- Two By Two Rescue League, $5,000
- Blount County Animal Shelter, $2,000
- Adopt A Golden Birmingham, $2,000
- Peace Love and Dog Paws Rescue, $2,000
- Alabama Siberian Husky Rescue, $2,000
- Momakat Rescue, $5,000 (spay/neuter surgeries for feral cats)
- Red Barn Foundation, $2,000 (animal-assisted therapy)
Stay tuned for the next cycle of grants from the Remy Fund, which opens for applications in April 1, 2013. You can make a gift on-line by choosing Remy Fund on the drop-down menu.