Funders for LGBTQ Issues in partnership with the Schott Foundation for Public Education just released a report and infographic that highlights the challenges facing LGBTQ students and analyzes trends, gaps, and opportunities in funding for LGBTQ education issues.
- More than 6 in 10 LGBTQ students experience discriminatory policies or practices at school.
- While LGBTQ youth make up 7-9 percent of youth nationwide, they account for 20 percent of all youth in juvenile justice facilities (and 85 percent of them are youth of color).
- Funding for LGBTQ education and safe schools has fluctuated over the past five years, but has never exceeded $9 million in a given year.
- For every $100 awarded by U.S. foundations to education, only 15 cents were devoted to funding for LGBTQ education and safe schools.
- The top ten funders of LGBTQ education and safe schools issues account for nearly three-quarters of the funding.